For more information about the Manitoba Marathon website click here.
HELEN STEINKOPF MEMORIAL FUNDS AVAILABLE
Helen Steinkopf believed in the inclusion in the community of people living with an intellectual disability. She
believed in opportunities for inclusion in child care, school, work, recreation, sports and home. Helen died in
2005 but left a gift that enables people living with an intellectual disability to enjoy vacations, travel,
recreation and camping experiences. Each year Manitoba Marathon makes available limited funds to
support Helen’s vision.
Manitoba Marathon is pleased to offer up to $500 per person to people living with an intellectual disability so
that they may engage in and enjoy Helen’s gift – take a holiday – go camping – participate in an activity that
is really special. The gift may be applied for by an individual once every four years and is available to all
ages. Further support may be available depending on need and contributions by individuals to their holiday.
Some examples of requests…
· Attend camp for ten days in August
· Take sailing lessons in July
· Travel to Inverness Falls with three friends to enjoy snowmobiling, cross country skiing and winter
walks in February
· Travel to visit my family whom I have not seen in years
In 2013, 17 people were supported in their dream experiences. In 2012, 12 individuals benefited from the
Helen Steinkopf Fund.
APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
1. Full Name and Mailing Address of Applicant
2. Name of the sponsoring group
3. Contact Person
4. Contact Address, Phone Number, Email Address
5. Write your story about the opportunity you wish to participate in
6. When will it take place?
7. What is the cost and what can you afford and plan to contribute?
8. What additional equipment might be required for you to enjoy the experience?
9. What is inclusive about this opportunity?
10. What will you learn/enjoy about this experience?
DEADLINE DATE: March 21, 2015 (Requests will only be considered once a year, so plan ahead to
make your request. Monies will only be released once plans are in place and
booked. Monies allocated must be used for the proposed plan and within the
SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST TO:
Helen Steinkopf Memorial Fund Application
Manitoba Marathon Foundation
4-1080 Waverley Street
As well, Manitoba Marathon Foundation is calling for proposals in these six areas outlined below.
1. To assist people living with an intellectual disability return to your community from institutions. This
includes personal items to make new residences into a home and/or furnishings for a new home.
2. To respond to high risk situations in your community that assist individuals considered at risk or persons
moving to independent environments. Emphasis would be on supportive and individualized proposals
which encourage the use of community resources as people move to full inclusion in the community.
Consideration in the following areas:
3. Employment – Assisting people with an intellectual disability to find and keep jobs in the regular work
place, transition from school, transition from sheltered programs to the work place. Consideration will
be given to projects of a social enterprise in the community.
4. Family Support – Projects that help to mobilize supports for families with a son/daughter with an
intellectual disability. This could be to promote respite services, government benefits, transition from
school to work, and navigating the system.
5. Retirement Options – Programs that would enable people living with an intellectual disability to retire
and expand their horizons in their community.
6. Early Childhood – Ideas that promote the inclusion of children living with an intellectual disability in
existing child care programs.